Thursday, May 8, 2008

There is a new drug on the market to help people suffering from Restless Leg Syndrom (RLS). The drugs name is Requip, or ropinirole. I first heard about this drug on a TV commercial. I couldn't believe what I heard.


Of course the drug had all of the same types of side effects that most other drugs have; you know, nausea, dizziness, fainting, sweating, pretty "normal" side effects for most prescription medication. But here is where it gets weird (this is straight from the Requip website):


Some patients taking ropinirole have shown urges to behave in a way unusual for them. Examples of this are an unusual urge to gamble or increased sexual urges and/or behaviors. If you or your family notices that you are developing any unusual behaviors, talk to your doctor.
Hallucinations (unreal sounds, visions, or sensations) have been reported in patients taking Requip. These were uncommon in patients taking Requip for RLS. The risk is greater in patients with Parkinson’s disease who are elderly, taking Requip with L-dopa, or taking higher doses of Requip than recommended for RLS.


WTF? That's all I have to say (ok, you know better than that by now, I guess that's not all I have to say). I mean, what is RLS? RLS is a disease, again from the Requip website:


RLS is a neurological movement condition characterized by a strong, compelling urge to move the legs, often accompanied by leg twitching and uncomfortable, sometimes painful, sensations in the legs.


Is RLS bad enought that people would end up sex crazed maniacs, shooting craps in a back alley with a couple of hookers and a 40 of malt liquor? Let's take a look at that scene:
Not pretty! So, you've been warned. I think I'd live with some sleepless nights rather than a life of the above!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'm a little behind on checking out your blog.... Your last post had me doubled over laughing! Way funny - keep it coming! :)

Kathi